Source: Text from the 100th year celebration church bulletin.
Located on the hill known to residents as Black Oak Mountain.
The first church was built of logs in 1853 by Methodists who joined with neighboring settlers. It was located near the Virginian Railroad tunnel, on a knoll, on the Blackoak Mountain Road off of State Route 71. The church was first named “Old Zion”. In 1887 the church united with Cedar Cliff members and formed a church on the present location.
The land was dontated by Charles Walker Bailey and the lumber by Samuel Shutt. The name of the church was changed to Rock Episcopal Methodist. One of the first pastors was Rev. J. W. Rader. In the early church, familys made and carved their own benches. The church was first heated by a pot-bellied stove, and later was converted to a coal furnace. It is now heated by electric heat.
In later years, the church was completely renovated. The large basement, known as Bailey Hall, where social activities were held, was made possible through a dontation by the late Alice Bailey.
The Youth Fellowship, through faith and hard work installed chimes in the church and dedicated them to the late Kenneth Bailey, son of James and Nancy Bailey.
On August 15 – 16, 1987, the Rock United Methodist Church celebrated its 100th Anniversary. On Saturday, August 15, a fellowship reception was held in Bailey Hall. Gospel singing was held later in the evening. At the singing, memories of the past were shared by former and present members. Videos were shown of past home comings. On Sunday, the 16th, the church gathered for worship with the pastor, Kevin Lantz. Following worship, a dinner was held on the church lawn. More singing followed in the afternoon. The day was filled with joy and celebration of the churches Christian Faith.
The church had a quartet known as “The Solid Rock”. The members of the group were John Syres, Nina Basham, Bonnie Underwood and Vickie White.